Shift rotations involve working during set times throughout the day. For instance, some employees might work days while other employees work nights. Or, employees might work 10 hours a day for 4 days each week and have three days off.
Understanding the basics of shift rotations and how they work helps you decide which may be right for you. You can choose the type of rotation that best fits your needs and supports your lifestyle.
Learn more about the basics of shift rotations, how they work, and which is best for you.
Types of Shift Rotations
Shift rotations depend on the industry and company:
- Day, afternoon, and evening shifts: Typically, the day shift is 6 am to 2 pm, the afternoon shift is 2 pm to 10 pm, and the night shift is 10 pm to 6 am.
- Split shift: The work is divided into two shifts on the same day. For instance, 9 am to 1 pm and 5 pm to 9 pm.
- Fixed shift: Specific days and hours are worked each week. This may be impacted by overtime, holidays, or schedule swaps.
- Rotating shift: The daily scheduled hour’s change every week, month, or another set time period. This creates a blend of more and less desirable shifts.
- On-call shift: Employees must be available by phone and come to the workplace within a set time period if called.
Pros of Shift Rotations
Shift rotations offer a range of advantages:
- Flexibility: You can handle personal responsibilities, fulfill appointments, and swap shifts as needed.
- Commute: You may be able to avoid commuting during rush hour.
- Income: You may receive higher wages or shift premiums for having an alternative work schedule.
Cons of Shift Rotations
Shift rotations have disadvantages:
- Sleep issues: Working nontraditional hours and having an inconsistent schedule can lead to insomnia and other sleep disorders.
- Scheduling issues: Working nontraditional hours may interfere with your family responsibilities or social life.
- Risk of accidents: Drowsiness from working nontraditional hours can lead to accidents while driving or working.
- Physical and mental health issues: Working nontraditional hours and experiencing sleep issues can lead to anger, anxiety, or depression.
Tips to Manage Shift Rotations
- Maintain a consistent schedule. This benefits your sleep cycle and physical and mental health.
- Keep a sleep schedule. Sleep the same number of hours each night to maintain your work performance.
- Minimize caffeine near the end of your shift. This helps you sleep when you get home.
Are You Looking for a Shift Rotation Job?
Partner with Techneeds to find a shift rotation job that fits your goals, needs, and interests. Visit our job board today.